Saturday, December 31, 2011

a good year


Sophie and I took what has become our annual trip up north to the cottage for a few days after Christmas. It has become one of my favourite traditions for the holidays....leaving the hustle and bustle of work and the city behind for a couple of days so my girl and I can hang out by the fire and walk on the snowy trails together. So we can just be. I don't even take my ipod on those winter walks up north. I listen to the branches of the fir trees dip and creak under the weight of the snow, I listen to my dog's paws hitting ground as she jumps over logs on the path and I listen to the quiet. And I often think about the year that has past and the one that lays before us.



2011, like most years, was filled with a few big moments and many small ones: Sophie and I ran our first 10K together; I won the Buddy award and was promoted at work; a nephew was born, a nephew started walking and a nephew started school; there was sunshine for Girl's Cottage Weekend; the whole family was together for Christmas and many of the long weekends in the summer; I watched my Sophie fly over an agility course again. It was a good year.




Like most people, I have big plans for 2012...resolutions have been made. And I will do my best to see them through so that this time next year, I am looking back, proud of what I have done. However, even if all those plans don't get accomplished...even if all I can say at the end of 2012 is that: I gave my Sophie and Elora a great year; I spent some wonderful summer weekends and the holidays with my whole family; I laughed with my very best girlfriends; I worked hard at my job, then I will be able to say....it was a good year.

8 comments:

Bagman and Butler said...

Yes, I would agree that those accomplishments made it a very good year. May 2012 be even better.

ShanaM said...

Ver wise!
Happy HAPPY New Year!!!

ShanaM said...

I meant 'very'

Rae said...

Wishing you many blessings in the year ahead.

Carolynn Anctil said...

That photo of Sophie on the snowy forest path says it all. Your getaway sounds heavenly. May your 2012 unfold with magic, laughter and joy infused with the kind of love only an animal can impart.

Much love & blessings,
Carolynn

Susan said...

Happy New Year! I really enjoy reading your blog, and I just wanted you to know that I have passed on the Liebster Award to you. You can go to my blog and follow the few simple requirements. Congrats! :)

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

Amen and I couldn't agree more!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

World of Animals, Inc said...

Such a beautiful place to get away for the holidays. It looks like a fun time and relaxing to walk the snow-covered trails. Thanks for the share. Have a wonderful day.
World of Animals