Tuesday, June 30, 2009

the ride

A good friend reminded me lately that when life is busy, even if it's busy with things that you love to do, you need to take time to just be. Time to slow down and to refresh your spirit. She reminded me that I need to take time to be with Sophie. So I did.



My best girl and I did an impromptu run up north for the weekend last Friday afternoon. I turned my back on chores that needed doing, on photos that needed editing, on work that needed finishing...on everything I should be doing and took off with my dog. On our three hour drive we had the windows wide open and country tunes blaring. We took the winding, dusty, back roads and I did not check once to see what time it was or to calculate how much further we had to go. We just enjoyed the ride.



At the cottage we swam in the cool lake water and explored the surrounding forest together. We felt the sun dip behind the horizon in the evening while nodding off together in lazy swing. I turned my Blackberry off; I did not write, I took only a few photos and I made some headway on a novel I've been meaning to read while Sophie lay at my feet enjoying a good, old fashioned beef bone.



And on our ride home on Sunday, I looked over at this happy, tired little dog riding in the passenger seat and was so glad we took off up north together for a few days. I've been thinking about Sophie a lot lately after a photo session a few weeks back with Oban. He was only a year older than Sophie and his athleticism...the ease in which he moved...made me realize how much of an effect Sophie's hip dysplasia really has on her abilities. And for a while I was feeling bad for her...like she was missing out on not being able to jump and fly like this other Border Collie. But after this weekend, I can see again that she is a happy, energetic dog that lives her life to the fullest...she isn't missing out on a thing.



I was reminded this weekend that it's not always about what you can and can't do, or what you should and shouldn't do....sometimes you just have to enjoy the ride. And, for me, the only way to really do that is with the company of a great dog.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Andrea. That sounds like a great time for the two of you. Most of my life I've been surrounded by people with disabilities of one kind or another and you are absolutely right; the most important thing is that you fully enjoy that which you CAN do!
My niece (33) has a dog that looks similar to Sophie and she has bought a snazzy camera and is taking a photo. class. I sent her to visit your blog to see your beautiful work with Sophie!
Happy 4th to you and Sophie.

Emma Rose said...

That sounds like a heavenly weekend to me! Wonderful, wonderful.

Girl Tornado said...

So glad you two got away for the weekend! And what a glorious weekend it sounds like.

And thanks for letting me know that Scott Kelby has put out more than one digital photography book. :) I ended up ordering his 2nd book and another photog book (not Scott Kelby) this afternoon. I feel the need to educate myself some more.

Diego Dog said...

Sounds like a fun time.

Diego Dog

Girl Tornado said...

I forgot to mention -- as always, love your photos of Sophie!

FYI, I'll be changing up my blogroll soon, creating a list that is dog specific, horse-specific, etc. So that way the dog lovers who read my blog can find kindred blogs. My blog roll is a mess right now. :-\

Bruce said...

You must always remember to make the most of what you have and don't waste time worrying about what you don't have. Sophie's inabilities only make her time with you more precious. I am glad you took the time to enjoy yourselves because I know how hard that is in our busy world today. Love the photos & thanks for sharing your journey with us:)

Andrea said...

Lucky for both of you to have taken the time to just be!

Golden Samantha said...

What you did was pawsitively awesome. Your photos are absolutely stunning. So beautiful and Sophie is having such a great time! Cheers!
Hugs xo
Sammie

Hilary said...

You've got the right idea for sure. I suspect that Sophie isn't missing out on much - if anything.

gigi said...

Amen to a good ride with a good friend.

RURAL said...

Those moments that we choose to just be, to take off and relax, are the ones that become wonderful memories.

Good for you to create some wonderful memories with Sophie.

Kathy said...

What a lucky dog Sophie is. Love the pictures.

Barry said...

Sounds like an excellent weekend to me!

And from the looks of Sophie in the photos she enjoyed it too!

the magic sleigh said...

That sounds like the perfect weekend. I am proud to see that you have put the disabilities behind you and learned to enjoy what you have together. I have just restarted Kira in her obedience work, just because she loves it, despite her age and seizures, she will never be able to show, but at least she is having fun and we are bonding together even more.

RURAL said...

Thank you Andrea for leaving such a beautiful comment on my blog.

When I visit your blog, I come away with inspiration on how to live life to the fullest, to enjoy what I have today, and to learn to treasure these moments.

Sophie is a beautiful dog, a true personality, and those shots of her in the water are gorgeous.

Jen

Becky said...

Great photos of Sophie! Sounds like you had a fabulous ride, glad you had such a wonderful time! And just how is Miss Elora doing? Ahve a Happy 4th of July!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Now THAT sounds like an absolutely blissful weekend!! Pure heaven in my mind, and I'm sure in Sophie's too. To have your complete attention and to just 'be' together without any obligations or schedules, is truly a joyful act. You are both very blessed to have each other. Soak up these times together!

Libby's Library said...

Here wishing your many more wonderful weekends filled with relaxation and human-dog bonding!

pam said...

How wonderful! I felt myself relaxing just reliving your weekend.

Scout and Freyja said...

Swimming is an excellent exercise for a dog with hip problems. Without putting strain on the bones, it allows the muscles to become strong in order to hold the hips in place better.

As far as your dog being happy. Someone told me a long time ago when I was moving from the country to the city with my German Shepherd Dog that no matter where I lived, Tony would be happy...as long as he was with me. And, that's a fact. As long as your dog is with you, that's all that matters.

Jeanne Estridge said...

I have 2 dogs. Emmy is 10, can walk for miles and hops in and out of the station wagon with ease. Abby is only 5, but if we walk 2 miles she has trouble getting into the car. I suspect she's got hip problems, but I've been avoiding getting confirmation....

The Write Girl said...

Wonderful lessons Andrea...I love this post. You and Sophie seem to be enjoying yourselves. Soak in the peace and tranquility.

Robynn's Ravings said...

Ah, so true.........lovely photos and accompanying story. I could picture it all.

Can't wait to share Minky's adventures. Everything about the mountains was a first for her. And boy did she have some firsts! I had to get my "raving" out of my system first however. I do not transition well and I'm pretty sure my report card would still say, "Does not play well with others...." at least, not while attempting transition! lol

b&g girl said...

just being is important, holding on to the now...and dogs they embody that don't they? and keep reading :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wonderful post, and stunning Sophie Photos! Sounds like a great weekend..to just be. Sometimes I have to remind myself..put down the camera and just enjoy:)

laurie said...

oh, to have a cabin up north....and a dog who is not neurotic in the car!

you're reminding me of the old days with my old toby. we used to go on impromptu hiking trips up the North Shore all the time when I lived in duluth.

well done, you!

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

What a great time you must have had! WONDERFUL for you both (love that first picture with her reflection in the water!!!!)