Saturday, May 15, 2010

in a word

Last night I watched my neighbour across the street pull his truck into his driveway and hop out with his dog...a wonderful, exceptionally well trained, german shorthaired pointer. He took a few minutes to sit on his front steps with his dog, rubbing his belly, and I could tell even from across the street, that for those few minutes, the rest of the world had ceased to exist for those two. It was one of those momements between dog and owner that always captivate me...that are difficult to describe in words but that I feel deep in my heart.





Dog owners know those momements that I am referring to....that feeling you have with your dog sometimes that swells up inside of you and can make you want to drop to your knees and thank the fates for bringing this precious creature into your life. The way we feel about our dogs (and cats) is different than how we feel about our families, our significant others, our kids....not better, not stronger, not lesser....just different. Our feelings for our dogs are pure and unrestrained.....we know there is no risk of betrayal, we do not need to be cautious...we feel for our dogs completely with our hearts as there is no need for our heads to get involved. I imagine this is also true, and likely amplified, for how parents feel about their children. I expect to feel that way about my kids (if I ever go down that path)....but I never expected to feel that way so strongly about a dog. And perhaps that unexpectedness is part of what makes those moments with our dogs so touching....I'm always still a little suprised every time I feel that swell of emotion. And I hope I always will be.




As I watched my neighbour and his own dog last night, while Sophie lay at my feet, I knew I wanted to write about it today and began searching for the right words to describe what that is between dog and owner that captivates me so. As I began to form eloquent phrases in my mind, I saw my neighbour hold his dog's head in both hands and bring his face close to his own. He looked into his dog's eyes and just grinned. At that momement, I mentally threw out my grandiose phrases....because what I saw, in a word, was love. Simple, unabashed, all encompassing, love. And it doesn't get any more grandiose or any more simple than that.




22 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun pictures today Andrea! It's always nice to witness the love between a dog and their owner. No hidden agenda behind a dog's love and devotion. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Brenda's Arizona said...

Wonderful to read that someone else (YOU!) knows the joy of a dog. Thank you for sharing - my heart needs to go hug my dogs, to stare into their eyes and bury my face in their fur.

Kathy said...

Andrea, you've captured in words what the rest of us feel when we look into the eyes of our pets. I love the pictures of Sophie.

Jan said...

How beautifully expressed. My four are little love machines and I couldn't imagine life without the love of a dog.

(Nice to meet you.)

dellartist said...

It is most definitely a special bond, and you have described it beautifully. I can't help but pity those who have never known the love of a dog, there is nothing else like it in the world.

Becky said...

You hit the nail on the head! I forget all my troubles when loving on my dogs. All my cares go away even if only for a few minutes. Pure peace and joy in my heart and theirs! Sophie is such a great dog. How is Elora doing, we need a new pic of pretty face.

gigi said...

The pics of Sophie are so cute. After a 15 years of not having a dog and now having 3 of them has been a real pleasure and lots of fun and keeps me busier than ever. Now I wonder why we went so many years with out a dog in our home.

Raising Addie said...

You are an amazing writer! That's why I just love your blog. You express in words so well what I feel about my dogs. Don't get me wrong, I do love Sophie. The two of you together are a wonderful pair.

The moment that you described, I experienced today with Addie. I had all the pups outside playing. After they lost interest in the ball I was throwing I sat down in the grass. Immediately Addie ran over to me from across the yard and sat at my side. I reached over and just hugged her thinking to myself what a wonderful day it was as I watched Lucie bouncing around the yard like she was a puppy again chasing after Hailey.

Every moment of every day is truly a blessing. I can take ok pictures, but you bring the story to life. :)

Thank you!
Staci

Far Side of Fifty said...

Every bond I have formed with animals over the years has been special, not only dogs ... perhaps even a few cats and a goat...oh and Rabbits too but there is nothing like the pure love of a dog. Sophie is loving the water and the beach!:)

Bruce said...

and they love you right back:)

Girl Tornado said...

Simply put, you never have to fear betrayal, they never tell you "wait a minute", so in a word, that devotion is priceless.

I am definitely way different with my dogs than I am with any humans, even my family, even my son!! :-0 I know. Shocking!

But my dogs GET me. Really, they do. :-)

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Andrea, thanks for visiting and commenting on Stumpy's blog. I'm hoping I can d o right by the Berner dog. Preparing him for and finding him his happily ever after in his perfect forever home.

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

oh! and a P.S.
Your words in this post are perfect! I've read back some and am going to enjoy future posts and pictures!

RURAL said...

Andrea, how beautifully worded, eloquent and thoughtful. I loved every part of it.

Those moments when I come home from work, and pick up my little black furball, [Bootsie] even though he is a cat, are the best.

Any connection with a animal is something that we should treasure.

Jen

Hilary said...

So sweet, pure and true. I think you should print this blog post out and leave it in your neighbour's mailbox...

Carolynn Anctil said...

Absolutely, so true. I've said it before and it remains true today. All of my soul mates have been animals. Those quiet moments with Celine are spent in the mornings, before everyone gets up. She curls up near my head, purring, and we just look into each others' eyes. Bliss. *smile*

Blessings,
Carolynn

Robynn's Ravings said...

Don't know if you know but I lost my JoJo two weeks ago. Unbelievably heart wrenching and I won't go into it here because I blogged about it but, twelve-and-a-half years wasn't enough. We got each other. She was nanny to my kids and she knew it.

Minky and I are madly in love, too, and she looks to me for everything. If anyone else even commands her she checks with me first to see if she should listen. lol I kiss her soft muzzle all the time and look into those soulful brown eyes. IS there any face like the face of a border? Their eyes are INCREDIBLY intelligent and knowing. THANK YOU, GOD, for my dogs.

claire said...

it is impossible to look at these photos without smiling :)

Window On The Prairie said...

Wonderful pics. My favorite is the one where he is shaking. Neat catch.
Suzanne

Jackie said...

Just beautiful! I thank my lucky stars every day that my Schipperke Zoey is in my life. She is a joy and worth every bit of effort (she's a tough cookie - very bossy and headstrong). I wouldn't have her any other way.

BridgeEtta said...

I have 7 collies, all working dogs, partners, and friends, and angels that bless my life, keep me safe, and teach me what only they can. They are part of a way of life that, for me, wouldn't exist with out them.
I love your photos of Sophie. Nothing like a collie to steal your heart.

Tim and Goldwater said...

Thank you for mentioning Goldwater and I in your blog. He has been a great friend to myself and my kids. It's amazing the comfort and joy these animals bring to our lives. I know you and ian feel the same way about Sophie. Great pictures of Soph btw.