Friday, January 20, 2012

a perfect day - happy birthday, sophie

Sophie will be five tomorrow.  Wow...five. And as much as I am "into" dogs....I have never celebrated her birthday other than a blog post or a shout out on facebook.  No party, no presents, no cake.  It's just never seemed to be mine...or Sophie's...thing.  But something has shifted this year...maybe it's because she is getting older...or because I am.


This year, I bought her some "birthday" presents...a toy, a treat, a "happy birthday" dog cookie.. But more importantly I plan to give her this "great day" tomorrow...a day full of long, off leash walks on the trails; and some crazy play time; and indulgent meals and treats; and a whole day just being together. And maybe, I realize, it's not that either of us is getting older...maybe it's that I read Jon Katz's book: Going Home. Finding Peace When Pets Die.  A wonderfully written and excellent book, that I would recommend to any pet owner, that talks, in one chapter, about giving that beloved pet a "perfect day" before they go. Maybe I wished that I could make every day in our life together perfect for Sophie. But since I can't, given all the other demands in life...work, family, friends...the least I can do is give her that "perfect day" once a year in celebration of her birth, rather than just at the end of her life.  In celebration of a day that would forever change me -- a day that would make me better, that would make me whole...by bringing this little being into my life.  And the funny thing is....I have this strong suspicion...that it won't just be her perfect day...it will be mine as well.  Happy Birthday, my Sophie...my love for you is the purest thing I have ever known....and a pefect day, once a year, is the very least I can give you in return.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful blog entry, I hope you and Sophie enjoy her Birthday! I think giving your dog a perfect day is a great initiative :)
I'll try to give my own dog a perfect day :D

Rae said...

Happy Birthday beautiful Sophie. I hope you both have a glorious day of celebration.

RURAL said...

That sounds like such a special day, and one that both of you will remember for a long time.

Happy Birthday Sophie!

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Raising Addie said...

Happy Birthday Sophie!!

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Sophie...
Happy Birthday to YOU!

Enjoy your perfect day tomorrow gorgeous Sophie!

Lots of Luv & Kisses
Addie, Lucie and Hailey

Carolynn Anctil said...

I gave a full day to my boy, Bear, devoted completely to being together and lavishing him with love, before I sent him on his final journey.

I remember all the final days of all my animal companions over the years, and make a point of spending more time giving my present companions as much love and attention as I can in the here and now, every day.

Happy Birthday, Sophie!!

Jan said...

Aw happy birthday dear Sophie!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Belated Birthday Wishes for Sophie! The years keep ticking by, Chance was seven..hard to believe. Sophie deserves lots of perfect days..her idea of perfect is probably every day when you come home from work:)

My Other Best Friend said...

Beautiful Photos!

World of Animals, Inc said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Sophie!! We hope you enjoyed a wonderful day of celebrating your big day. Thanks for sharing this with us. Have a great time and a lovely weekend.
World of Animals