Tuesday, May 26, 2009

wanting it all

My photography has taken on a little life of its own these days....in a warm and wonderful way. I am scurrying to get caught up on the other things in my life, such as writing and visiting all the blogs that I love, as much of my time has been spent either behind the camera or in my "digital darkroom".



I spent Sunday afternoon photographing a beautiful group of children at my nephew's birthday party...something a bit new for me as most of my "live" subjects are the four-legged, shaggy kind. I am always eager to explore new avenues to improve and broaden my photography skills. I have included a few of the photos in this post and the rest can be viewed here if anyone is interested.



Based on the shots from the party, a few of the moms have contacted me to see if I would be interested in spending some time shooting some additional family photos for them. It is an exciting and nerve racking direction for me....one, to photograph people (outside of my immediate family and friends) rather than dogs and, two, to have expectations built into my craft. I have only ever taken pictures for myself....my love for photography was built upon that and it's important to me that I don't lose it along the way.



But I am happy that my photos are speaking to people...are making them smile and helping to capture some joyful moments for them. I am eager to see where this path may take me....but it's a path that I am not willing to compromise other things for....because, you see, I want it all.



I want to give a devoted mother the perfect picture of her beautiful baby girl. I want to meet more wonderful, soulful dogs and keep building the Charlie Project. I want to write...articles, personal essays, memoirs and even a children's story I have been mulling over. I want to blog and spend time on favorite blogs.



I want to read with Elora cuddled in my lap. I want to sit in the summer sun on old wooden docks with old cherished friends. I want to hear the sound of my family's laughter mingle with the northern cricket's song and float into the night sky. And I want to be with Sophie....in the moment, on the trails, with nothing in my thoughts except the love for this great dog.



And what I want most is to try...to try to have it all...and see what wonderful things Sophie and I can find along the way.

31 comments:

Girl Tornado said...

Your photos of the kids are every bit as good as the ones you take of the dogs! :) It's a path worth exploring, I'm sure. You can always try it, and if it doesn't agree with you in some manner, you don't have to follow it to its end.

Sophie is adorable, as always!! :) :)

Tatersmama said...

Hun, you have a phenomenal talent and a wonderful *eye*... so go with the flow and just see where it leads you, for a while anyway.

That's just my opinion, of course. Feel free to tell me to shut up! ;-)

Stella said...

I looked at all 75 of the little nippers and parents and they were wonderful photos. How I love the one called Braedon with his huge toothless grin, grabbing his foot. thanks for showing them.

Cheers,
Stella's Mom

RURAL said...

Who knows, this might be the way your path leads? I think that you can have it all, everything that you want. Go for it, if you don't like it, you can move in another direction.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Your photos of the children are splendid. I can understand the moms wanting to have you to capture their child's personality on film. You have amazing talent and you are very happy in life right now - that is when you excel at everything! Enjoy it ALL!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Awesome photos, gorgeous kids. Sometimes it is hard to have it all, but always worth trying.

Tail wags, the OP Pack

Samantha ~ Holly and Zac ~ said...

Great shots. I hope it works out for you. I think children like dogs make fantastic subjects.

Good luck. :-)

Carolynn Anctil said...

The biggest obstacle for most people is not knowing what they want. You're already much further along than the majority...both in knowing what you want AND in achieving it.

The Universe seems to be aligning to make it happen for you. Opportunities are presenting themselves to you so you can explore other avenues that will take you closer to the realization of your dreams.

Why not engage in a little make-believe when you're photographing the kids for their parents? Pretend you're just doing it for fun. Ignore the expectations and just play.

Hugs to Sophie. There's an angel under all that fur, I can see it in her eyes. :o)

septembermom said...

You find beauty everywhere with your camera :) You have a wonderful gift.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Andrea, I had a gander at your photographs! They are excellent! Natural looking photographs capturing moments in time. That one of the little boy Braedon #45 holding his foot made me laugh out loud! What Mom or Grandma could resist that photo.
You never can tell where your road will wander..it may just meander around awhile..so take your camera!
Give Sofie a good belly rub from Me! :)

Life With Dogs said...

Wow, these sentiments are all too familiar. I don't know about you, but I could use thirty hour days for the next year to fit in all that I desire.

That said, you are doing a remarkable balancing act!

pam said...

You are really talented. The photos of the children are just as lovely and moving as your usual animal photos. Maybe you can have it all, it doesn't hurt to try!

The Write Girl said...

This is wonderful Andrea. People recognize your talent and good things are coming to you. You have such a talent with words and photographs. The baby pictures are adorable. I am very happy for you!!!

aurbie said...

Beautiful photos, all, but that second one is awesome. I love the composition on that one.

Sharon said...

You're on the right path for having a taste of it all and along the way you'll figure out how to keep getting what's most important to you. You might "want it all", but I don't know if there is a secret formula out there for "having it all". I think that very few people ever really accomplish that. Just keep doing what makes you happy:)

Pam said...

What beautiful babies - and Sophie just melts my heart.

Ed said...

Great captures!!! You sure do have a great tallent as a portrait photographer..:-)

T said...

I don't think you can take a bad photo. All of your photos are beautiful and breathtaking. you seem to capture the right moods and moments in each photo.

NKP said...

My favourite childhood photo is one that a stranger took of me playing by myself on the beach. (in the 70's... he would likely be arrested now!)
It takes someone like yourself to capture the poetry in a child. No wonder the parents want you to photograph their children.

Hilary said...

You have a wonderful eye. I say go for it... you won't ever look back.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

You did a fantastic job. All of your photos look so professional!

WildBlack said...

Great Work! :D

b&g girl said...

keep putting yourself out there!

Jeanne Estridge said...

What great pictures and what beautiful kids! No wonder the moms want you to photograph their kids.

Annie said...

You are blessed with a talent of not only capturing the spirit of dogs but also children. My dear, you can have it all. A door has opened, run through it, the results may just surprise you and be better than anything you can imagine!! Good luck and keep sharing your work...I am in awe!

Sherri said...

As others have noted, Andrea, the first step is knowing what you want. I've learned in life that things do "happen for a reason." And that when something is right, it seems to fall into place for you.

I feel the same way about painting. I never want to have something that is "just a job" again. It needs to be a passion.

Go for it! And good luck!

Jan said...

Not everyone can take such beautiful, candid shots of animals and children. You do have a special talent.

Barry said...

I thought your photo of dogs were great until I saw your photos of these children.

What an awesome talent you have!

Robynn's Ravings said...

Your gift extends to capturing children perfectly. The first photo actually made me do that little *gasp* thing. So glad you love to share this with so many. :)

gigi said...

Those are beautiful children. I love eyes, I always notice eyes first in pictures. That first baby is adorable and the eyes just talk to me. I love this new attitude of yours, wanting it all :) There is not a thing in the world wanting it all. Sometimes we get it and sometimes we don't but it sure is fun too keep trying. I love your writing and I can't wait to hear a childs book. We read lots of books to the GRAND~girls. Such fun.
Good luck little lady, go forward in faith!

Bren Haas said...

I love your blog... we have somethings in common. I own an Aussie and she looks a lot like your border collie. :-) Stop by my garden in the Midwest sometime - PLEASE?!!!! I can't wait to stop back and see what your next photos will be. LOVE IT!!!! You are fun.