Thursday, March 12, 2009

my sister

Something a bit different for Finding Sirius....a short post about my sister. A sister who has always encouraged me in my writing and now in my photography, who has always supported me...who has always laughed with me. The photo is from her wedding day....the words from part of the speech I gave on that fabulous day....

This story of sisters is best told through the clothes…

In November of 1978, I handed her a pink and white blanket that had been knitted for me when I was a just a baby. She was just days old and I looked at her, with all the love and wonder of a 5 year old and thought: That’s my sister.

In April of 1983, I handed her my dad’s old jean jacket and a baseball cap as part of a costume for a play we were putting on for our parents. I, of course, was writer, director and starring lead of these masterpieces, she was the pliable and willing supporting cast and our brother, a much less willing participant, ended up in the non-speaking, inanimate roles of gray rock in forest or Easter egg.

In October of 1989, I handed her a sequined adorned top for a punk rocker Halloween costume I was helping her with. She was going trick or treating and, at the time, it didn’t occur to me that it might be strange that many of the accessories and clothing items that I was wearing out and about everyday were considered appropriate items for a Halloween costume…but then again…it was the 80’s.



In May of 1992, I handed her a jersey as the coach of her soccer team. It was wonderful to see her develop a love of the sport that both my brother and I shared with our father, who in turn had shared with his.

In May of 2000, I once again handed her a soccer jersey…this time as a team mate. We played on a woman’s team together and I can’t recall for sure, but I believe we lost every single game that year. What I do remember with startling clarity from that season was driving to the games together with the music cranked as we belted out the lyrics; I remember laughing at half time as we feasted on summer sweet oranges and I remember how much fun I had, win or lose, just playing together.


In August of 2002, I handed her a striped sweater from the Gap as she packed…it was mine, but looked better on her and she loved it. She was moving to another province for 3 years and it would be the first time we had ever lived more than an hour or so apart. And I knew I would miss her ever so much more than I would that sweater.


And in March of 2008 I handed her a dress. It was ivory…and elegant and beautiful. And when she came out of that dressing room and I saw her for the first time in the very dress she is wearing today…our timeline of memories, fabrics and carefully woven threads danced across the space between us and I caught hazy glimpses of her at the age of 5 again, at 15 again, at 25. And I looked at her, with all of the same love and wonder of 30 years before, and thought to myself: That’s my sister.

34 comments:

Libby's Library said...

Oh, this is so sweet. My sister and I have been estranged for as long as I can remember, but I've have always encouraged my daughters to remain close. This was a wonderful post. So glad that you shared it with us all!

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a wonderful post about your sister! You wove the story flawlessly. She was a beautiful bride, I hope you stay close friends forever:)

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to have such a great relationship. Beautiful photograph.

Joanne said...

How lucky you and your sister are to have each other in your lives. It's a special bond, and that you dearly cherish it is so evident in your words.

Andrea said...

Ok, I'm in tears. Sisters are pretty wonderful people. I think you summed it up beautifully.

Gennasus said...

What lovely words and a very original idea. Gorgeous photo too.

Shirley said...

A very lovely post and tribute to your sister. I have 6 sisters who live in many different parts of the country but we hold strong to the family bond.

Kathy said...

I'd say your have a very lucky sister to have you as a big sister. She must be very proud of you indeed. Great story and beautiful picture

Tatersmama said...

Oh this was just lovely! I actually had tears in my eyes by the end...
My sister and I were never close, but this is exactly the relationship I always dreamed of having with her.

You've both been truly blessed!
(and so are we, because you shared this with us!)

Becky said...

That was a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.

Country Girl said...

Beautiful tribute to your sister!

gigi said...

Oh, there is such a big lump in my throat. Everyone should be so blessed to have such a special relatinship as you have with your sister. So many families can't say the same. What goureous girls yall are, thank you for sharing such a sweet story.

Sherri said...

Great post today. I really enjoyed it. I always wanted a sister. The picture of the two of you is wonderful.

Robynn's Ravings said...

What a vivid and sensory laden tale you wove to honor the relationship you share. Sisters are a gift. My sister has crossed over but the warmth she left in my heart will always remain.

Words can be such a gift. Your story will bless both of you in the years to come and many others as well. Thanks for sharing it with us. ((hugs))

Jan said...

I hope my daughters feel that way one day. Great job!

allhorsestuff said...

I loved reading all of this, and your photo is beautiful and so is the memory huh!
Kac

The Write Girl said...

Hi Andrea,

What a sweet post about your sister! I love the scene you set when you first lay eyes on her. You capture this special bond between you and your sister so vividly and beautifully.

Sharon said...

Sister bonds are forever. It doesn't matter how long you've been apart, as soon as you get together again, it seems just like yesterday since you've seen each other. I don't get to see my sisters very often, but I carry them around with me always in my mind and in my heart:)

Carolina said...

Wonderful post.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Oh Andrea what a lovely post, you brought a tear to my eye. How lucky you are to have a sister and you two have remained close. I have this same wish for my daughters.

Hilary said...

Lovely, sisterly sentiment and you expressed it so beautifully. Those bonds are forever.

Robynn's Ravings said...

Andrea....come on over to my place and collect your award. I've posted something about you there, too. Hope lots of new people keep coming over. :)

Martha said...

Your post was beautiful as was the picture.
I saw the wedding picture in someone else's blog roll and cos it was a bride I hopped right over.
I do hope you don't mind.
You are both very lucky to have such a wonderful relationship. xx

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

I love it...a truly beautiful post.

gtyyup said...

That is a beautiful post...I missed a lot by not having a sister...you are truly blessed~~

Gutsy Living said...

What a beautiful story. I wish I had a sister or a brother. What a strong bond between you. I love to hear when siblings are close.Too often you hear the reverse.

pam said...

Now, I'm all choked up. Wonderful post.

Emma Rose said...

Beautiful post Andrea. Thank you. It's wonderful that you are so close to your sister. No matter how old she gets she will always be your little sister.

betty said...

this was so sweet to read! you are both so beautiful! thanks for sharing your love for your sister with us

betty

Ed said...

Absolutly a brilliant post! It almost makes me miss my sisters.

Rosaria Williams said...

This is charming and heart-warming. I'm so glad I stopped by. (by way of A woman of no importance)

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! What a lovely post. Great writing as always. Lots of Woofs! Sugar

Cassiopeia Rises said...

Hello friend. Came across you on write girl. I must say your photos are wonderful. will be back.



love-bd

Barry said...

As the father of two daughters, I found this post incredibly moving.

Not to mention very well written.