Thursday, December 4, 2008

reflections

It has been said that our dogs are reflections of our selves. I like this notion. I watch Sophie living in this world - running through the forest with wild abandon, peacefully napping in the sunshine on the dock at the cottage, joyfully greeting everyone she meets with a wagging tail and genuine happiness - and I like to think that it has a little bit to do with me. That part of her exuberant spirit is a result of our time together, of our training, of my love for her.



However, if I really start to think about it, I would have to say that she brings out the best version of me. Since Sophie came into my life I am the closest I have ever been to being the kind person I want to be. So if I did help shape Sophie into the wonderful dog she is today and if she truly is a reflection of me, it's only because she showed me who I was...who I could be...in the first place.

1 comment:

Tatersmama said...

Ahhh.. this was so beautiful - and so true.
Our animals have a way of taking us outside of ourselves and helping us to be the people that we need to be, don't they?
I know that I have a special bond with one of my cats (Willow) and when she gazes into my eyes, she just *knows* what's in my heart... if that makes any sense. I think you know what I mean. :o)

Have a wonderful day my friend..